Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Yard Sale experience!

For the most part, our yard sale was a positive experience. We really had non stop traffic and made a good chunk of money for our trip to Puerto Rico. One disturbing event that happend was on Friday, my parents went to pick up Maryn from Daycare and my husband wasn't home from work yet. This left me at the sale by myself. Not even imagining that anything bad would have happend, I was duped.... bamboozled.... hornswaggled!!!!

A family of 4 adults and 3 children pulled up and instantly made a ruckus. One of the adults was trying to get me to let her read my palm, the other was telling me that she needs pots to make food for her children and one was shoving a baby in my face and telling me how she has been sick and needs a good deal because she has no money and needs to clothe her children. Well, the way I was raised, my heart went out to them and I began to just give them things. I ended up charging hardly anything for designer clothes, shoes and pots and pans. I felt good.... they were not well behaved, but I felt they needed it more than me and I was helping them out. THEN, my neighbor walks over as these people were getting ready to leave. They saw my neighbor coming over and left abruptly. My heart sank....something told me at that moment that I was conned.

My neighbor told me that while the adults were distracting me, two of the children (about 5 &7) were stealing toys, books and kids clothes and putting it in the back of their truck. One woman, another yard sale shopper, said that one of the adults actually got out of the truck with no shoes on and slipped a pair of my shoes on. After realizing and being told what had occurred, I sat down and could have cried because those poor children don't have a chance. Using and teaching your children to steal....SICK! These innocent babies....all I can do is pray for them.

No comments: